Friday, May 6, 2016

Competitor Profile - The Chamberlain Family

Photo Credit:  Oleg Volk VolkStudio
We are the Chamberlain family and we love to shoot rimfire. A very good friend of ours, Steve Lee, (whose kids are into shooting as well) had been trying to get us to start Rimfire and we let Austin go after years of asking!  That's all it took!  He was hooked and not long after that, we were all hooked!

We went out and bought Austin a stock 22 rifle and a stock 22 pistol.  He began shooting local matches and we noticed that everyone we met was very friendly and helpful.  Steve talked to us about a company called Tandemkross, that might be a potential sponsor for Austin.  They were wonderful!!  They sponsored him and not long after that they picked up our girls, too. 
The girls shared a rifle and pistol for a while, and we would upgrade them with parts from sponsors and the prize table.   It is amazing that the sponsors donate these awesome prizes to the matches and we are truly appreciative of that!   We get parts to upgrade the guns from Tandemkross and other sponsors the kids have.

Now we have started shooting USPSA, along with rimfire, and we love it as well.   We travel to matches with our friends that we have met through this sport.  One of the best things about shooting, is the amazing people you meet.

My name is Dustin Chamberlain;  my wife, Amy Chamberlain;  Austin, 16;  Hailey, 15; and Mylee, 12.  We have been shooting for about a year now and we are planning to continue for quite some time.  It is such an unique sport, like no other.  We love traveling together and  the memories we are making with our kids.

We have done very well with several trophies won throughout the year.  We have been very impressed with the safety and responsibility that the kids have been taught.  We all feel very confident handling our guns and I love that our kids can clear jams in their guns like a pro! We even make family time to clean our guns together. This has been a great thing for our family to share and we have made life long friends in the process.  We look forward to this year and we hope to shoot many matches with our "shooting family".

Austin, how would you describe yourself?  I am a fun-loving kid. I love going to the range and having fun with all my friends. I love to learn new things and try new things and every day I go to the range, I see it as a day to learn. I love the shooting sports more than any sport I have ever competed in. I will talk to just about anyone too. I am not shy at all. I will talk to everyone at the range and have made a lot of friends.
Do you have any other hobbies?  I do a few academic activities for my school like Quiz Bowl and a few Math Competitions.  I also run cross-country as part of my high school team. Is there any advice you would like to give new competitors just starting out with Rimfire Challenge? Do not try to go fast right off the bat, work on your accuracy at first. Speed will come later. Is there anyone that you would like to thank or recognize? I would like to thank all of my sponsors because without them, I would not be able to do all that I get to. Also I thank my parents for letting me do what I do because I love it so much. And thanks to Steve Lee for helping me along the way and showing me the ropes and everything.


Hailey, how would you describe yourself?  I'm a freshman in high school.  I play varsity basketball, volleyball, and softball.  I love to go outside and shoot with my family and friends.  I also have a dog named Gunner that I play fetch and do tricks with.  I try to go fishing and hunting with my Dad whenever I can.
Do you have any other hobbies?  I play school basketball, volleyball and softball.Is there any advice you would like to give new competitors just starting out with Rimfire Challenge? It starts out rough, you just have to keep practicing and wanting to get better. Is there anyone that you would like to thank or recognize? I would like to thank my parents for setting me up with all this gear and everything they do.  Steve Lee for introducing us to the sport and his coaching.  Also, I would like to thank my sponsors. They are the reason I get to do what I do.


Mylee, what do you enjoy most about rimfire competition? I love to shoot competitively because everybody is so friendly and they will cheer you on.  I always love to travel with my family and to meet new people.  I love to see my "shooting family" at the matches and I get so excited seeing what place I will finish in.
Do you have any other hobbies?  I play basketball and volleyball.  I also enjoy camping and shopping.
Is there any advice you would like to give new competitors just starting out with Rimfire Challenge? Don't get nervous.
Is there anyone that you would like to thank or recognize? I would like to thank Steve Lee, all the other competitors, my family, and my sponsors.

Comments from the Editor
I would like to thank the Chamberlains for agreeing to be part of this series.  I've seen them at various matches I have attended, but have never had the chance to spend any time talking with them.  I did spend over an hour on the phone with Dustin talking through the premise of this Competitor Profile. I think we spent 5 minutes talking about the article, and the rest of the time talking about the people we met and positive experiences we've had as participants in the Rimfire Challenge competition series.

One of the things I have always appreciated about Rimfire Challenge matches is the family-friendly supportive nature of the events, and most of the competitors that compete in them.  The Chamberlains thoughts mirror my own in many ways.  It's very rare to find a competitive, but still friendly atmosphere. I think that friendly and supportive environment will help the NSSF Rimfire Challenge competition series grow and flourish in the coming years.  All because there are families like the Chamberlains who choose to participate.

Are you planning to attend any Rimfire Challenge matches this season?  If so, say hello to the Chamberlains.  They would love to meet you.

The Chamberlains won several awards the 2016 Texas State Lonestar Challenge match last weekend.
You can LIKE the Chamberlains on their Facebook pages to follow their competition accomplishments in the current Rimfire Challenge season.  As you can see above, they all did very well at the recently held 2016 Texas State Rimfire Challenge match.

Austin - Austin Chamberlain Iron Man Competition Shooter

Hailey - Hailey Chamberlain Competetive Shooter

Mylee - Mylee Moo Moo Chamberlain

2 comments:

  1. One thing that was failed to be mentioned about the Chamberlains and Austin in general. When they are not shooting they are helping. So many times I see young and adult competitors standing and talking while match staff, some senior citizens, are painting and resetting the targets. This is not the case when the Chamberlains are around. These kids work and put out the effort to help everyone. They go above and beyond what is normal for competitors. As a match director and competitor, I can honestly say that I am always happy when the Chamberlains arrive. Their sponsors are very lucky to have such great people representing them. Great article about a deserving family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site
    with us so I came to take a look. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will
    be tweeting this to my followers! Exceptional blog and brilliant design.

    ReplyDelete