Friday, September 25, 2015

Competition Ready Upgrades for the Ruger Mark III 22/45


The 2015 NSSF Rimfire Challenge World Championship is right around the corner.  Do you know what that means for this guy?  It means it's time to build a brand new gun for the event.  I went through a similar process last year with a Ruger Mark III.  You can read all about that project on my other blog if you wish to do so.  I was working on a review of the Ruger 22 Charger Takedown at the time of our NSSF Rimfire Challenge State Championship this year so I used it for the pistol portion of the shoot.  Heading into the biggest shoot of the year with brand new equipment isn't the smartest thing for me to be doing, but I favor curiosity over competitiveness.

This new pistol represents a big change for me.  I've always shot in the Limited Class using a heavy all-steel pistol with the stock Ruger target iron sights or the SeeAll Open Sight.  Now I'm going the opposite way with an ultralight pistol with all the bells and whistles allowed in the Open Class.  My 2015 pistol weighs more than a pound less than the pistol I used at the World Championship last year and will have a Burris FastFire III red dot sight.  I'm curious if this new rig will lead to more consistent, and possibly faster, times than I've had in the past.

For the base pistol, I started with a Tactical Solutions TSP-4.  Tactical Solutions doesn't list this pistol in their 2015 catalog, but I found out there were a limited number of these pistols produced for one of the larger firearm distributors.  Tactical Solutions replaces the Ruger factory receiver with their PacLite receiver.  They add a set of their G10 grips, Ruger Racker bolt handle, PacLite scope base, Compensator, and a SLAM Mag base pad equipped magazine to complete the TSP-4 pistol package.

I was a bit surprised to find that, aside from the G10 grips, the grip frame was entirely stock.  Factory Ruger triggers are fine for plinking, but for competition I would need to make some changes.  I acquired parts kits from Volquartsen Custom and TANDEMKROSS to complete my 22/45.  There were some overlapping parts in the two kits so the parts installed are shown in bold type


Volquartsen Custom Mark III Accurizing Kit    Retail Price:  $115.00
Target Hammer
Target Sear
Target Trigger
Extended Bolt Release
Trigger Return Spring with Polished Plunger


TANDEMKROSS High Performance Kit for 22/45    Retail Price:  $99.99
Steel Hammer Bushing for the Mark III 22/45
"Kanewolf" Slingshot upgrade

LCI replacement in black OR stainless steel
"Firestarter" Titanium Firing Pin
"Eagle Talon" Extractor
Extended Magazine Release



TANDEMKROSS Victory Trigger    Retail Price:  $34.99
 "Victory" Trigger with Textured Surface

Setting aside several hours one night, I set about making the upgrades.  Since I only attempt projects like this once a year, I tend to be a little slow and methodical with the work.  Using Gun-Guides for Ruger Mark III Series Pistols, instructions included with the TANDEMKROSS kit, and this excellent website I got through the job pretty quickly, but still managed to install the sear on the wrong side of the sear spring.  I make this mistake EVERY SINGLE TIME I work on a Mark III.  Maybe I'll get it right the next time around.  Just in case I forget, I left a Post-it Note reminder for Mr. Dumass in my copy of the Gun-Guide.  I case you were wondering, Mr. Dumass is my alter-ego that does dumb stuff even when I should know better.

My results were right on par with my expectations.  The Ruger factory trigger pull weight of about 5.5 pounds was reduced to slightly more than 2 pounds.  I didn't notice any issues with parts compatibility when mixing and matching parts from the two different parts kits.  I did need to do some fine tuning and testing of the pre-travel and over-travel adjustment screws on the trigger during my first trip out to the range.  I've included a video from my first range trip to demonstrate how the adjustment of the pre-travel screw can have a huge impact on the reliability of the pistol.


Pre-travel Adjustment Demonstration

Direct Link to Video on YouTube

Even though I've only had a limited amount of trigger time with the pistol, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  With two weeks remaining before the World shoot, I'll be out on the range practicing and becoming more familiar with the pistol as much as I possibly can. 

I hope to meet some of you at the shoot next month.  I'll be the guy with the 22/45 that still has the pink dot stuck to the side of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment